Tuesday, January 1, 2013

How to lube your thread

I've been long-arming happily all day.  I finished one quilt, and will place another one on the frame tomorrow. I wish the holiday could be extended, I'm not ready for school to start!  For those who are new to the blog, I home school my son.  I'm also taxi-driver for my oldest in college (she has a disability and can't drive for now).

I thought I'd share a tip to help those who are tempted to oil your thread when you sew velcro or use metallic threads.  My method works for long arming, sewing, serging, upholstery  just about any type of sewing.  I've used this method for years and it works!

If you have continual thread breaks while sewing velcro or use metallic threads, try this!  Cut a tiny piece of stick-on velcro, use the fluffy side.  Place it under the thread path AFTER the tension disc.  Then place 1 or 2 drops of silicone (Sewer's Aid, etc.) on the velcro.   As the thread glides across the velcro it lubes your thread without ruining the entire cone, and without gumming up your tension dial.

Use velcro to sew velcro, brilliant! Let me know if you try my method?  I'd love to hear how it worked for you!



Print Friendly and PDF

11 comments:

  1. Christine, I found your blog through the Tin Lizzie yahoo group. I like your idea about te velcro. You have a nice blog. I've attempted to create my own blog through blogspot, but have run into some difficulties. Would you be willing to talk to me about it through my private email? I
    m signing in as anonymous because I don't have my google password. Hope to hear from you. Norma
    mrs.mac21@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to help! The tutorials for blogger will help as well. In fact, when we gab, we'll use the tutorials! :~)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine, thanks for your response. Hope to hear from you in my email inbox, so I can explain the gorry details of what happened. Norma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christine, I also found your blog via the Tin Lizzie yahoo group and agree you have a nice blog. I allow several quilting blogs. I see that you have a Ansley 26 with Hailey frame and that is what I have. Did you use a pantogram on the Quilt of Valor; if so, do you do the pantograms from the front or the back? I have been freemotion quilting on my Ansley and have not tried pantos yet and just curious how you quilt the majority of the time. Thanks Bonnie
    (blindsay1947@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did use a panto on the Quilt of Valor. The pantos are done from the back of the machine. They lay on the table, with the quilt on the front of the machine. Try one! The one I used is really good for beginners. It's from Lisa Calle's website, and the design is Fluttering Hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the great tip

    ReplyDelete
  7. How often do you need to reapply the silicone to the patch?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I only need to put 1 drop on, it lasts and lasts. I think when the thread begins to shred again that would be the time to add another drop, if you need it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea! Thanks for the suggestion, I tried it using metallic thread and didn't have a single shredded thread. This opens up a whole new avenue of options for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this worked so perfectly!! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete